In light of recent actions by the defense of David Castillo Mejía, the Civic Council of Popular and Indigenous Organizations of Honduras, COPINH, informs the national and international community of the following:
- We request the corresponding authorities to investigate the surveillance reported by the defense lawyers of the accused David Castillo Mejía.
- The State of Honduras must guarantee the full participation of the legal representations of the victims as well as the accused. COPINH has always expressed its respect for the guarantees of the accused in the interest of an impartial process that demonstrates his responsibility.
- The evidence is compelling and we hope that these allegations are clarified so that nothing tarnishes the right to access to truth and justice.
- We point out that the crime against Berta was carried out by a military intelligence structure that is expert in surveillance and harassment.
- The responsibility of the accused Castillo Mejía in the planning, execution and oversight of the assassination of Berta Cáceres has been proven in trial with conclusive evidence, we urge that distractions be avoided.
June 19, 2021
La Esperanza, Intibucá