At onset of trial against David Castillo, accused of the murder of Berta Cáceres,the Civic Council of Popular and Indigenous Organizations of Honduras (COPINH), the Family of Berta Cáceres and their legal team, informs the national and international community of the following:
- The trial against David Castillo should only be the beginning of a legal process to judge all of those responsible for the crime, including Castillo’s bosses; Daniel Atala Midence, Jacobo Atala, Pedro Atala and José Atala.
- The origina of the murder of Berta Cáceres are acts of corruption with which the concession of the sacred Gualcarque River was granted. This corruption has been exposed in the, “Fraud on the Gualcarque ” case, from which COPINH continues to be excluded as a private accusation.
- The evidence that exists against David Castillo is overwhelming and irrefutable to prove his participation in the crime against Berta and other crimes.
- The trial will prove the systematic attacks and aggressions against Berta Cáceres, the Lenca community and COPINH in retaliation for their work in the defense of human rights and assertion of their rights.
- We trust that the outcome of this trial will be a conviction in a process that meets all due process standards.
- The search for justice for Berta Cáceres is part of our commitment to truth in the face of the existence of rampant impunity in Honduras.
- The truth that will be exposed during the trial will contribute to breaking the barrier of impunity in cases of crimes against Indigenous Peoples, social activists and environmental defenders.
- We again denounce the lack of political will of the Public Prosecutor’s Office to advance in the search for comprehensive justice in the Berta Cáceres Case.
- We call on the national and international community to continue strengthening alliances for the struggle for an independent justice system in Honduras and for the Berta Cáceres Case to be a precedent of truth and reparation for the people.
Tegucigalpa, April 6, 2021